There are several reasons why you may need to convert a video from one format to another.
- The video camera that you used produced the wrong format for your purpose–where you need to put it on the internet. (blog, youtube, itunes, etc.)
- Someone who produced a video for you (and knows very little about video editing) and sent you the file in the wrong format.
- The video may be too high resolution
- You may need your video in multiple formats for different purposes
- One format is not playing correctly; another may play with fewer problems on the hosting site
Video Format: MP4, FLV, or MPEG
Video Codec: H.264, MPEG-4 or MPEG-2
Audio Codec: MP3 or AAC (stereo channel)
640×480 (Standard high quality video with 4:3–meaning width of the screen compared to the height of the screen)
1290 x 720 (HD- High Definition video is usually a 16:9 screen)
Frame Rate: 25 frames or better
Bitrate: 600 to 1200
Serif Movie Plus
Serif is our number one choice for a Video Editor. It is easy to use, has good instructional material, and the price is very reasonable.
E Right Soft Free Converter
erightsoft provides a free conversion utility that is very good. Occasionally I find a file that will not convert properly, but it is the best place to start. It is tricky to download. Watch the video and see the steps to get the right files.
AVS Video Software
The AVS Video Software will convert videos, but it also includes an editor and many other useful video tools. This is not free software, at least for anything important that you need to do, but their pricing is very reasonable. They have a perpetual 70% discount.
Video Text has not been transcribed yet.