Online company reviews are important to both customers and to businesses. So we encourage you to write online reviews.
Why is writing online reviews important to customers? And why is writing online reviews important to businesses?
Almost everyone has gone to the internet to look for a product that they want to buy. The fact is, people read reviews. And, we all actually pay attention. And the better the review, the more we listen.
That’s not just me talking. According to Search Engine Land’s Local Consumer Review Survey, 52 percent of consumers say that positive online reviews make them more likely to use a local business. Even more surprisingly, 72 percent of consumers say that they trust these reviews as much as personal recommendations.
Let me give you a personal example. I was searching for a washing machine. I did research to find out which product had the right features and price. I also used consumer testing magazines as well. I read about several similar products. Finally, I made my choice.
When I went to the consumer online reviews, I found out that the product that sounded good from the company website actually got almost all 1s and 2s on the review. Another, similar product, had a 4-5 star rating. I bought the second product. And I haven’t been disappointed.
But businesses need these reviews too. Every business relies on word of mouth advertising. Obviously, as businesses, we hope for positive responses from every customer. But even a perfect business will get some customers that had a bad day or just don’t fit the business profile. So, customers may actually write bad things about your business. Is that a problem? No. That’s life and that’s business.
How a business deals with negative reviews is more important to customers and to search engines. As a customer, if I see that a business replies back and either explains the situation in more detail or apologizes if they truly made a mistake, when I see that type of response from the business, I am more comfortable in giving them my business. If a company has lots of reviews and none are negative, I grow somewhat suspicious.
But a business owner can also learn about what the public thinks of her business. I might think I run the best business, but public perception is truth, whether it is true or not. Online reviews actually help a business build the brand awareness that they want and help shape public response or correct problem business practices.
Let me list 8 specific reasons why a business should use reviews:
- Increased Sales – People are always much more likely to purchase a product or service that has already been recommended by others.
- Understand and Better Serve Your Consumers – Online reviews can tell you whether you are doing a good job or what you are doing wrong and how to improve your service.
- Improve Rankings – Online reviews work towards improving your websites ranking on search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo! and more.
- Higher Keyword Content – Online reviews help your business website to have a steady influx of SEO keywords to define your business
- Allow Consumers to Have a Voice and Create Consumer Loyalty – Consumers who take the time to leave an online review for a business are far more likely to feel a certain loyalty to your business.
- Create Consumer Engagement – Reviews create a social community of consumer engagement that allows consumers to form an attachment to both the business and the other consumers as well.
- Let Consumers Do Your Marketing for You – A handful of positive online business reviews are are like micro marketing campaigns that keep working long after the online review has been posted.
- Reviews Breed More Reviews – When a business, product or service has already received reviews online it seems to encourage other visitors to leave their own feedback.
As customers, we want thriving businesses to be successful. They provide all of the goodies and service that we want. But we want the best to do better so that we always get to pick from the cream of the crop. That is what business is all about–providing something that people want. They’re happy. We’re happy.
However, what actually makes a review that is helpful? Let me show you how to write a review on google+, yelp, yahoo, and yellow pages that really works. I’ll explain what you should write that makes an effective review, and I’ll even show you the steps to write a review on four of the top review sites: Google+, Yelp, Yahoo Local, and Yellow Pages